Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekly "Why Haven't I Seen This?"-7


With the plethora of skate footage that's out there, it can be easy to overlook things. And yet, so often we stumble upon a video that we've never heard of and find ourselves asking why we hadn't seen it before. Each week, I plan to post another lesser-known video that deserves more recognition, for your viewing pleasure.

Arizona has one of the best skate scenes in the world. In some ways, I like it better than California, just because the dudes in Arizona seem to be able to shred anything and everything, all the time. One of my favorite skaters, from the desert or elsewhere, is Josh Hawkins. In fact, personally, I've just been waiting for him to turn pro for years now, but just as he was about to turn pro for Powell, he sadly got injured and will be out for a while. In the wake of that, Powell is kicking off most of their team, including Josh and Jordan Hoffart. I'll never look at a Powell deck again without flying into a violent rage. That will be my excuse when I get convicted of assault, anyway.

So here's Josh Hawkins' part in BTL 4. This video came out in 2005, so by my calculation, Josh was about 17 or 18 when this video was released. Even then, his style was smooth, crisp, and easy on the eyes, even when throwing down some seriously gnarly tricks. That ender down Carlsbad (I don't want to spoil the surprise by telling you what it is) is proof that Josh's small bit of recognition that he gets today was probably harder earned than most guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment