Wednesday, July 24, 2013

3D Skateboards

3D Skateboards is going to be Brian Anderson's new company, for those who don't know. I wasn't reporting on this earlier, but it seems that the concept has become official enough that I can go ahead and write about it. Brian Anderson quit Girl to do this company, which he talks about in this interview. The team will include Austyn Gillette and Alex Olson, and to be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about that. I of course love Austyn Gillette and everything he releases. The same year that he released a part for Thrasher, he pretty quickly whipped up this part in "Cosmic Vomit 2".



If you aren't familiar with the "Cosmic Vomit" series by Grant Yansura, they're awesome videos. Especially the part that is nothing but boardslides.

The other thing I like about this company is that Brian Anderson seems to have a level head, and I know he's at least interested in art, so it looks like 3D will have a solid image and graphics.

Now here's the part where I just start to whine and complain.

I'm a little concerned that Austyn Gillette will be the only one putting out good footage. Brian Anderson is old. I understand how it goes. As a skateboarder, your body starts to break down on you, and you can't skate like you did when you were 19. What I'm getting at is we can't expect to see much footage of BA after this- he had very little footage for "Pretty Sweet", and that was before he had a company to run. My hopes aren't too high.


Then there's Alex Olson. He's got good style, sure, and he's had some gnarly tricks (that ollie over the picnic table longways- it still haunts my dreams). The problem is I feel like most of the stuff he's doing could be done just as well by someone else. Setting even that aside, it seems like he enjoys modeling and arguing with his dad more than he likes skating. I'm not saying that's true, but I don't like to have that thought enter my mind when I'm watching a skate video. His video parts are ok, but I've never been particularly happy with anything that he's put out.

And that's it. If you aren't seeing BA, and you aren't seeing AO, there's just Austyn. Best of luck to those guys, but I think they have a long way to go before this company starts to look legit. I'll probably back them if they don't use the same wood as Girl, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment