Friday, April 25, 2014

Weekly "Why Haven't I Seen This?"-21

With the plethora of skate footage that's out there, it can be easy to overlook things. And yet, so often we stumble upon a video that we've never heard of and find ourselves asking why we hadn't seen it before. Each week, I plan to post another lesser-known video that deserves more recognition, for your viewing pleasure.

This one's a true gem. I was looking to feature Kyle Frederick this week, because although he has a super sick style, he kind of fell off the map once Chris Cole's clothing project, Omit Apparel, went under. In trying to find a good video to post, I came across this part from Focus Magazine's "Rise and Shine" video from 2007. So much of this video strikes me as weirdly prophetic. The video shares a title Nyjah Huston's famous part that came out in 2011. Kyle Frederick is seen doing a nollie late flip looong before they were cool (I know he's far from the first, but apart from him and Dave Bachinsky, I can't think of anyone else who was doing nollie late flips over things before P-Rod kicked off the trend that we're seeing now). We also get to see a baby version of Tom Asta, doing mostly the same tricks, but on smaller obstacles, which is still fun to watch in my eyes. We also get the obligatory appearance from Ian Berry that we get in any part that comes out of Philadelphia. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this gem as much as I did and take notice of how great of a skater Kyle Frederick is. If you haven't seen Tom Asta's latest part, go watch that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment